Reversing camera on new instal
Hello all,
since receiving my head unit, sold as a direct replacement for Kenwood OEM unit on 2012 Subaru Forester, i've been working through some config problems. Support have been good, we are swapping pix back and forward, getting back to me within 2 days, generally.
Original problems were SWC and reverse camera ( as usual with new head units Wink )
OEM plug for SWC did not match exactly with Joying plug. First time i plugged in, it didn't feel right, pulled out, pins in Joying plug were bent. The two plugs do not exactly match, guide slots are different. I straightened the pins, re-inserted a couple of times until it felt sort-of OK, then tried SWC's, was able to program them. The two plugs do not click together, I have them secured together with a cable tie Confused Anyway, one problem solved.

Now to reversing camera.(OEM) I had the two yellow RCA plugs labelled rear view camera connected, no sign of life. After i got the SWC plugs working, I started getting some life. I suspect there is something to do with power in Reverse in that plug. So, now when in Reverse, I get a black screen, then a No Signal message, and mute of audio. Two of the pins in the Joying and OEM reversing camera plugs do not connect. Drawing below.

[Image: Subaru%20Reversing%20camera%20to%20Joying%20paint-L.jpg]

The plugs in question appear to be negative power. it's black on the Joying plug--I did a lot of online research in Subaru forums, and that is meant to be the negative lead in the OEM Kenwood unit. So I connected ground directly to that pin in the OEM plug, but still the same result.
Any other ideas from the larger forum? Admin is on holidays until the 6th October.
Thanks in advance.
Only one of those pins will supply 12v when reverse is selected, you need to go through with a meter and check, then you need to check the joying supplied car specific plug for the same input wire, generally speaking that's all that needed.
Looking at your pic, the other connection will be an earth.
(10-02-2022, 09:45 AM)Tricky Wrote:  Only one of those pins will supply 12v when reverse is selected, you need to go through with a meter and check, then you need to check the joying supplied car specific plug for the same input wire, generally speaking that's all that needed.
Looking at your pic, the other connection will be an earth.

I tried bridging that connection, ie, connected the Black power on the Joying plug to the Blue/brown on the OEM socket. No change. so I connected the Blue/brown on the OEM socket directly to ground. Still no change, and I thought that would have fixed it.
One thing that i did notice, even before changing any of those connections--When in reverse, ignition on, getting the No Signal message, i can hear a noise from under the bonnet--it sounds like a chattering relay to me. It is buried under the engine shroud, might have to take that off to check. But I will check the OEM socket with a meter.
Well, Support had to admit defeat in the end, and asked me if I'd get it checked out by a local installer. I had already given up on it, as I had an aftermarket camera coming as part of a kit from another vendor to instal in my D-Max. I had sourced an adaptor to have my Isuzu OEM camera work to go with the new kit, it all installed and worked first up, so I used the included aftermarket camera on the Subaru with the Joying HU, which is what I had been trying to avoid all along--I hate stripping cars out to get wiring through.And it all worked, just using normal reversing camera connections.